- Compact fluorescent light bulbs in many of our light fixtures
- Programmable thermostats in common areas and owners' quarters (Guest rooms each have their own heat control and are adjusted daily when guests are out.)
- Composting fruit and vegetable scraps, grass clippings, leaves, etc.
- Recycling, recycling, recycling! (For guest convenience, we have placed a small recycling container next to the wastebasket in each room.)
- Provide environmentally-friendly amenities for guest use (Liquid products are manufactured with no animal testing, are 100% biodegradable, contain no toxins or dioxins and use minimal preservatives. Bar soaps are made from 100% vegetable base.)
- Liquid hand soap provided in dispensers in guest rooms so guests don't have to open a bar of soap just to wash their hands
- Minimize printed correspondence by using e-mail for confirmations and receipts as much as possible
- Switched from a gas-powered lawnmower to a man-powered reel mower (Bonus: it is much quieter too!)
- Energy Star appliances (refrigerator, dishwasher, high-efficiency washing machine, etc.)
- Low VOC paints used throughout the house
- Active member of our local Freecycle Network finding new homes for still-good items
- Renovations included replacing old windows with energy-efficient ones, improving insulation, and upgrading furnace/boiler to a more efficient model
- Member of Daloz Farm CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) - providing us with freshly harvested, Certified Organic vegetables from May to October... and a real sense of community And we'd like to do more! We'll definitely be at the Greenerborough event on Saturday looking for more ways to do our part.
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Earth Day and Greenerborough
With Earth Day right around the corner and with the upcoming "Greenerborough" event happening in Peterborough this weekend, we thought it would be a good time to take inventory of some of the things we do to help reduce our in impact on our planet.